Patient Care Information
Read through the information provided below from Beyond Your Smile for useful tips on how to maintain oral health immediately after getting a set of braces or after extensive dental work.
Foods to Avoid After Banding
Do not eat gum or sticky candy – ESPECIALLY: Gummy Bears, Gummy Worms, Gummy Vitamins, Airheads, Starburst, Now and Laters, Swedish Fish, M&M’s, Fruit By The Foot, Fruit Roll-Ups, Fruit Chews, Laffy Taffy, Warheads, Jawbreakers, Sour Gummy or Sour Patch Kids!
- NO bagels (unless cut up into very small pieces)
- NO pizza crust, no thick pan pizza (unless cut up into very small pieces)
- NO submarine sandwiches
- NO corn on the cob (unless cut off cob)
- NO ice cubes / frozen foods (like popsicles)
- NO popcorn, peanuts, pretzels, doritos or granola bars
- NO cape cod chips
- NO raw carrot or celery sticks
Taking Care Immediately After Treatment
The foods listed below may be eaten, provided the stipulations are followed:
- Meat removed from the bone (chicken wings, boneless spareribs, pork chops). Biting directly into the bone is prohibited.
- Fresh vegetables and fruits – Provided they are sliced as thin as possible.
- Steak – Provided it is cut up into very small pieces.
- Soda – Should be restricted (sugar free or not) as the acids contained in them do cause decay and breakdown of the cement used to bond the braces to the teeth.
*Phosphoric acid is the primary ingredient in soda that is potentially destructive.
Habits to be Avoided:
- NO biting on fingernails, pens, pencils or erasers.
- NO picking at the braces or wires.
If brackets break, please contact the office immediately to make arrangements for repairs. This constitutes a semi-emergency visit, and should not wait for monthly appointments. Also, broken brackets sometimes take extra time to repair, so appropriate time must be scheduled in advance.